Sunday 7 September 2014

A Study of Reading Habits

'A Study of Reading Habits' by Philip Larkin

When getting my nose in a book
Cured most things short of school,
It was worth ruining my eyes
To know I could still keep cool,
And deal out the old right hook
To dirty dogs twice my size.

Later, with inch-thick specs,
Evil was just my lark:
Me and my cloak and fangs
Had ripping times in the dark.
The women I clubbed with sex!
I broke them up like meringues.

Don't read much now: the dude
Who lets the girl down before
The hero arrives, the chap
Who's yellow and keeps the store
Seem far too familiar. Get stewed:
Books are a load of crap.

Sunday afternoon and I sit writing a variety of lesson plans, ideas and book lists.  I feel that in a world where technology prevails (I am as guilty as the next person!), books and stories are often forgotten.  Harking back to my own childhood when it was a struggle for my parents to get me to stop reading, I feel a deep down sense of sadness that very few children and young adults have that connection to books and literature anymore.

At the start of the year, I was given responsibility by my head of department for two things (apart from teaching my classes obviously!) - creating stronger links between the department and the school library and developing a sustainable way in which we could measure the levels of literacy engagement especially in boys.  Stereotypically, boys read less than girls and tend to opt more for non-fiction books if they do choose to read.  That is where my brain set to work.  Below I will post a lesson idea that I tried with my S1 class prior to engaging with the book projects I am currently running.

Book Project Lesson 1:

Each pupil receives a post-it note or a ballot style paper.

Ask the class as a whole whether or not they like reading. They should respond yes/no on their paper.

Below they should write a reason why they have said yes or no.

The next question is: What STOPS you or puts you off reading?

Each pupil should give at least 1 response.

They then stick their answers on the board/wall or post them in the ballot box.

Take time to sort through the responses divide them to a yes wall and a no wall. Ask pupils to help solve the problems that their peers are up against when it comes to reading.

Sample Responses and Answers from my own class:
Q1. I can't find a book I like
A: OK, have a think about subjects that interest you and make a list of them.  When we go to the library, look for books that are about the subjects on your list and pick one that you think fits well with your interests.

Q2. When I read, sometimes I get distracted and lose the line I am reading so end up reading the same thing over and over.
A: Use a bookmark or ruler to underline the line you are reading and move it down each time you get to the next line.

Q3. Sometimes I fall asleep if I am reading in bed and often I lose what page I am on.
A. Use a bookmark to keep your place.

These answers seem straightforward to some but to others, they are revolutionary.  My S1 class came up with a wide variety of issues and in week 1 when I did the survey of who enjoyed reading etc., only a very small minority admitted that they read for pleasure outwith school books.  This only made me more determined to help my pupils engage in reading and enjoying books.  So I decided that a book project would be the best idea.

The book project's first mission was to solve at least some of the issues that pupils had come up with during our survey.  As a class, we set to making bookmarks that would double up as tools to underline the part of the page they were reading.  I gave pupils a small amount of class time to do this and then set it as homework for the end of the week.  I must say I was completely overwhelmed at the effort that the majority had went to - they were FABULOUS!

The next part of the project was a display to summarise their books for the parent's information evening.  Each pupil made a book cover complete with a scene from their book and a blurb on the back.  Sparkles, scissors, glue and felt tips everywhere resulted in more amazing pieces of work from the pupils and they had thoroughly enjoyed the artistic side to it too.

The week before the October holidays start, each pupil must hand in 6 pieces of work which will be amalgamated into a project about the book they are reading.  They must choose one task from each section of the project sheet that I created focusing on different aspects of books and reading with each section. Mood, theme, setting, response, character and style are all included with a multitude of tasks to choose from under each.  After 3 weeks of teaching and allowing them all 5 minutes per lesson to read their books while I take the register and set up etc. I asked the pupils again: 'Who is enjoying reading now?' The most amazing feeling in the world was when every single hand went up in the class.

On that note, I see a book challenge to name the 10 books that have left their mark on your life and felt it an apt way to end this post:

1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte (the most underrated and amazing of the sisters)
2. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley (started my love of the Gothic)
3. The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
4. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
5. The Shining - Stephen King
6. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
7. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
8. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
9. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
10. Looking for Alaska - John Green

The list is endless and really I could probably post 50 books that have had an influence on me in some way or the other.  Please feel free to comment with your 10 books too.

More on the book projects in the posts to come

Miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment